Dread Giving a Speech ?
Posted June 1, 2010on:
You are not alone! Here are time-tested tips on how to overcome your fear of public speaking.
Despite actor George Jessel’s assertion that “The human brain starts working the moment you’re born and never stops until you stand up to speak in public,” there are many things you can do to make your presentations less nerve-wracking. Here are some of her recommendations:
1. Don’t procrastinate!
2. Always look for a speech topic
3. Choose a topic you care about
4. Organize your speech in a logical sequence
5. Create an attention-grabbing opening
7. Visualize success
8. Know your equipment needs
9. Familiarize yourself with the setting
10. Wear comfortable and professional-looking clothes
11. Concentrate on the message; not the audience
12. No matter how nervous you may feel, don’t tell the audience!
13. Use visuals and stories relevant to your topic
14. Speak clearly and audibly
15. Stay in Toastmasters!