How to Improve Your Voice
Posted June 21, 2010on:
Voice is God Gifted, yes it true and fact, but it can be trained, this also a fact. Nobody is a born singer or narrator or voice artiste, yes he/she may have a sweet, melodious voice by birth but still his/her voice needs to be trained enough to modulate, variate and able to perform professionally for required time. I am here to tell you about tips on how to improve your voice ( for voicing, dubbing, mimicry) so that you are able to have more base, uncharred, rhythmatic voice and have some control over your throat to produce variation and modulation in your voice as and when necessary. What ever you want to become in voicing arena, be it voice over artiste, dunning artist, mimicry artiste, performing actor, you need to modulate your voice according to the mood of the script. This is the first requirement of being a professional voice artiste. Anyway, lets begin with the training.
1. Like what a singer does every morning called "Riyaaz" you should also do the same every morning. You can take "Sa" only of Sa Re Ga Ma and then take a deep breath and start reciting "Sa" with your full base voice till your breath ends. Keep in mind you have to inhale fully and should go on saying "Sa" till the end of your breath in a continuous pitch without any breaks, variation or modulation of your voice. This will not only help you in having good base voice but also increase your voicing stamina.
2. If Main/Lead Voice Over is your target, you should everyday practice atleast two scripts with proper diction, pronunciation, modulation (as & when). If you do not have the stamina you may lose your voice in a lengthy script, that is your voice may be bold, enthusiastic, fresh in the first quarter of the script and may get tired or becomes low in the end. This is called the stamina of Voice, to remain one till the end specially in the case of background lead voice overs or narrators for documentaries or audio visuals. Similarly for other voicing fields, mimicry, stand up comedy, cartoon dubbings, simple dubbings etc. Record your voice everyday and listen. Every day you will notice some improvement.
3. Yoga plays a very important role in keeping your throat & voice healthy. Everyday chanting of "OM" for 10 minutes will give similar positive results as mentioned in point number one. You can also perform other Asanas for throat as "Singasana" and "Bharamri Pranayam" which will clear your throat and keep you away from all problems.
4. One more Yoga asana which is the most effective is ‘Ujjhayani Pranayam’ where full throat is contracted inside, and a sound is produced in reverse, that is you are producing sound by inhaling in through nose but throat is fully contracted and lips closed. When you breathe in fully, after that you release your throat muscles and release the breath through the left nostril, by holding the right nostril with your right thumb. A very effective way to exercise your tonsils.
5. To have a good feel of your voice and make it more fluent, one of a prestigious voice artiste once told me his secret which I am sharing with you, to speak ‘om’ or simple ‘Aaaah’ in an earthen pot or a ‘mutka’. You can also practice your scripts like this before appearing for an audition or final recordings.
6. Stay away from very cold things, beverages, aerated waters, chocolates, pickles, chillies and anything very sour. Chocolates, Toffees and other paste like things form a layer on your tonsils, exposing it to infections. If you eat occasionally do try to clear your throat and I hope you all brush your teeth before sleeping. Try to gargle your throat by simple Ayurvedic Gargle Concentrate, diluted in warm water before going to bed every day. This would minimize any chances for infection while you are in your sleep
Check the links for the Voice Exercise Videos
EXERCISES TO IMPROVE YOUR VOICE
First of all, I appreciate you are keen to improve your voice. But remember, these exercises are not meant for singers and to be done only when your throat is prefectly fine. Regarding taking something orally you can keep one green cardamom and some CANDY SUGAR (MISHRI). (or sweet diamonds as it is popularly called) in your mouth for some time. Or you can keep a small stick of Hindi Name, :, Mulethi. Sanskrit Name, :, Yastimadhu. English Name, :, Liquorice. Latin Name, :, Glycyrrhiza glabra Linn Pennel in your mouth.
These are best for keeping the throat lubricated and you can increase your throat stamina too.
I am also giving some exercises to improve upon voice Riyaaz–
It means practice, take one meter like ‘saa’ and take a deep breath and then speak up sa in one flow, one tone without modulation. See Video
Simha means Lion in Sanskrit, -therefore assuming the form of a lion is called Singasana.
Sit in Vajrasana.Now raise your buttock a little and cross the heel and toes of the right leg over that of left leg like a scissor.
Sit on the heels and place both hands on the respective knees.Spread out the fingers.
Bring out the tongue as much as possible. Gaze should be Nasal. Exhale rather forcefully from your mouth with some sound.
While returning back to the original position, take the tongue in, release the tension, loosen your hands and come back to the original position.
The hands on the respective knees should remain straight and the chest should be erect.
At the time of bringing out the tongue Exhale rather forcefully from your mouth with some sound. Sound producing from end of the throat.
After completion of exhalation maintain the position for few seconds. Practice it again after taking the tongue in.
Benefits and Limitations :-
Muscles of the neck are exercised and the blood circulation therein is improved.
The thyroid is also made healthy.
Tonsillitis of certain types is checked.
Everybody can do it. See Video Below, click on play
How to do : Close ears with thumb, index finger on forehead, and rest three on base of nose touching eyes. Breathe in. And now breathe out through nose while humming like a bee.
Duration : 10 mins
Benefits : vibrates the vocal chords, removes tension, hypertension, migraine pain, confidence, concentration. How to do it, see Video Below
How to do :Take Breathe in deeply, and chant ‘Om’kar. OOOOOOm ( Pronounce long O and small m in 2:1 ratio, in O lips rounded, in m lips closed)
Duration : You can do 10 mins or more
Benefits : Vibrates tonsils, tunes vocal apparatus, helps in maintaining tempo of your voice flow, improves concentration. How to do it….see Video Below…
Hope I have helped you upto some extent, very soon you would also be able to see the same techniques on Video on this page….and you can also register on this site as Voice Talent.
Useful Website Links
|www.123oye.com – Number one job site in India, really useful with lots of information. read my article here.
www.voicecoaches.com – Voice over training from industry leading voice over and voice acting professionals at Creative Voice Development Group.
voice over in Spanish – Bohemian sound, a professional voice-over talent representative based in Coral Gables, Florida, is undoubtedly your best resource for a voice-over search in the Hispanic Market.
http://www.myvoiceovergal.com – Rupa Krishnan, professional international voice over artist.
Rick Blade Voice Overs Deep compelling voice for commercials, imaging, and narration.
Mona Lisa Voice Overs Warm engaging narration for audio books, documentaries, and e-learning courses
Books to listen to – Downloadable audio books and eBooks at reasonable prices
Jack Of All Pipes Productions Voiceovers of ANY Range, Full Audio Commercial Production, Live Event Hosting & Emcee-ing, Copy & Scriptwriting, Comedy & Parody Production, Documentary & Training Video Narration, On-Hold Messaging, In-Store Announcements and More!
outsource programmer Looking to outsource project? Then look no further as IamAnArtist.com has a solution for your project outsourcing needs as well. You can outsource programmer or a team of programmers through IAAA to execute your project from start to finish and that too within your time and budget.
Heather Costa Voice-Over Productions – New York Voice-Over Artist and Producer, Contact Heather Costa today to get started on your next project!
Digital Picture Recovery– Download software that help recovery of jpeg, digital pictures, recover deleted photos from joesoft.com
http://www.hyderabadbuzz.com/LiveRadio.asp – Online Community Radio that focuses only on Showcasing Audio talent to the world. Entries invited in mp3 format.
www.mimicry.4t.com – Another mimicry and dubbing related site of NEERAJ MEHRA
http://www.topcomedian.com – A comedian is an entertainer who amuses an audience by making them laugh.
Stand-up Comedy in NYC – Comedy production company based out of NYC, presenting young New York comics fitting into the urban, stand-up, comedy genre, and featuring one of the nation’s funniest headliners on every show. Website features videos, audio, show schedules, fan interaction, and comic bios.
www.rainafoundation.com – Mr. Robin Raina, The first person I admire the most, really dedicated to humanity, please know him more.
www.geocities.yahoo.com/neerajmehra – One of NEERAJ MEHRA mirror sites at yahoo.
www.angelfire.com/ne/neerajmehra- Another site about NEERAJ MEHRA
www.gurgaonbiz.net – Read my article here and Gurgaon directory with much information
www.mazhar.dk – A very informative site on Pakistan Film Industry and many more sites made by world famous Mr. Mazhar. Read my article here too.
www.anandfoundation.com – Art, Media site with directory and useful information.
www.gurgaonscoop.com – Everything about Gurgaon, you would like to know.
www.kavitachibber.com – Kavita Chibber is the most active writer in Atlanta USA. Please see her site for the latest happenings in the cultural arena in the USA.